Cannon Falls Area Heritage
How Cannon Falls Got Its Name:
In historic times, Native Americans and traders frequently hid their canoes near the river’s mouth, away from the heavily traveled Mississippi River, because of this the French Fur Traders named the stream “Riviere aux Canots” or River of Canoes. Easterners hearing the French pronounce “canots” thought they were saying Cannon, and the Cannon River it became. Zebulon Pike mentions the Cannon River in his journals. Our town is named after the river and the falls, a natural cascade located along the Little Cannon River. In 1853, father and son, Richard & William Freeborn traced the Cannon River upstream to its falls. They two explorers kept their find a secret until they could return a year later to stake a claim. The city was settled in 1854. It is the only city in the world named Cannon Falls.
Cannon Falls Historical Museum
Fridays 1 - 5 p.m./ Saturdays 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
206 West Mill Street - 507.263.4080
Colonel William Colvill Statue and Monument
The Cannon Falls Cemetery is located along Highway 19 on the eastern edge of Cannon Falls.
Falls Veterans Memorial
The Goodhue County Historical Society is the oldest county historical society in Minnesota. It was chartered in 1869. After 37 years in the basement of the County Courthouse, the Goodhue County History Center moved into its current home in the Baptist Old Peoples Home on College Hill in Red Wing, Minnesota. Two major remodeling projects in 1989 and again in 1992 increase storage and exhibit space.
The Vasa Museum is open 11:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. every Sunday in May to early October or by appointment.
Vasa is located off Highway 19 just 8 miles east of Cannon Falls - call the Vasa Church Office at 651.258.4327
Historic Downtown Cannon Falls .
Cannon Falls has a wealth of buildings on the Historic Register. In 2000, 29 buildings in the downtown commercial district of Cannon Falls were put on the National Register of Historic Places. The district is an excellent example of a small Midwestern agricultural service community with most of the buildings constructed in a period from 1880-1915.
For a copy of the Historic Walking Tour Booklet
or for more information contact the Cannon Falls Chamber
of Commerce at 507.263.2289.